Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Lesson in Color Block


I often find color blocked garments to be very tacky. People tend to overaccessorize when they wear this trend, as though the simplicity of the design must be made up for in other facets of the outfit.

I disagree.

I think the key to wearing color block well is to simplify it. Let the point of the outfit be to showcase the colors and the cut of the piece and be done with it.


This LOFT tank is one of my favorite items this summer. I love the taupe and the magenta next to one another, and I love the loose feel of the shirt. All I added was a small ring whose stone matched the taupe in my shirt, and an unadorned pair of black flats. Love it!

Silk tank: LOFT (current)
Modern skinny "jeggings": LOFT (current)
Ring: Handmade by a family friend
Black faux leather flats: Target

What do YOU think of color block? Tacky or cool? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

4 comments:

  1. I think "unadorned" might be the word you're looking for here sugarfoot. LOVE this outfit. I'm getting the shirt right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, skinny "jeggings!"...for those w/o abnormally large ankle/feet (a.k.a me), hahaha. Love it!

    p.s. i need to learn how to use the comments! (note the accidental post removal above)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are sooo cute! your hair looks amazing here :)

    ReplyDelete