Monday, June 7, 2010

PLEASE USE OTHER DOOR

The handle on the door to my workplace is broken.

Now, when I say handle, I mean a long, pole-shaped door tug that runs lengthwise from top to bottom of the doors through which you enter our store.

And when I say broken, I simply mean unattached from one end. I do not mean sharply splintered or that it is violently poking out in any direction.

However, after hearing, "Gosh, do you realize your door handle is broken? It almost hit me in the face!" and "Geez, you need to fix that door immediately! It practically took off my foot!" among many other exaggeratory claims so many times, I decided I needed to take action, for the sake of my own sanity if nothing else.

Anyway, after spending some amount of time digging out a mallet from the depths of a seldom-used (and therefore very dusty) toolbox, I discovered that no amount of banging was going to get the door handle to stick in place.

So, I did the next reasonable thing... I posted a sign on the opposite door stating the following:

PLEASE ENTER THROUGH THIS SIDE OF THE DOORS. THANKS.

It was written in big red letters.

Over the course of the four hours remaining in my workday, I counted 26 people walk through the wrong side of the door, and about half of them had a complaint about the handle in question.

One lady even said, "Hahaha! Gosh, I read that sign and then I walked right in the wrong side anyway! Hahaha!"

Please tell me... Was my sign somehow unclear?

2 comments:

  1. It's the same principle as the "confusing credit machine." People can't follow instructions on credit/debit machines so they resort to saying "Oh, why can't they make all of them the same?" or the ever popular "These things are all so confusing!"
    EVERYONE says that. EVERYONE. read the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's a whole other phenomenon. Maybe I'll do an entry on the debit terminal next.

    ReplyDelete